G. Sidney Waits

Photos of some of my family members

AGreat Grandmother Waits 80th Birthday
This group photo was taken in front of the family home near Rockmart,GA. Great Grandmother Amanda was 80 years old and her sons had come home to help her celebrate. My Great Aunt Corrie was probably helping in the kitchen or she would have joined the group. Great Grandmother was holding her Bible and to her left is Cicero, the oldest, Gus, Virgil, George Orkney my grandfather and Joe, the youngest.

Harriet Permellia McIntosh Waits was from the distinguished group of the McIntosh family. I never knew her because she died before I was born. She and my grandfather lived in the old Carlton home on East Three Notch Street. One unique thing about the home was the speaker tubes throughout the house. You could use the tubes to call a servant or contact another family member in the home. Grandmother Waits is buried in the family plot in Magnolia Cemetery in Andalusia.

Uncle Joe spent most of his adult life in the Hattiesburg, Miss. area. At one time he was in the sawmill and mercantile business. Many of his descendants live in that area today. Uncle joe was the youngest of the children.

Uncle Gus
Of all my Great Uncles I suppose Uncle Gus and Uncle Virgil were my favorites. It is because I knew them and was around them a good bit. Uncle Gus was my favorite story teller because of his cowboy days out west. He rode the Chisolm Trail and other trails driving cattle to the nearest railhead. He could tell some interesting stories about the Indians and the wild west. When he came to my home for a visit all the neighborhood kids would join us on our front porch to hear Uncle Gus and his stories of the old west.He was a very strong man and had the typical Waits build of large. His daughter Ruth still lives over in Louisiana and we visit over the phone from time to time and talk about old times with Uncle Gus.

Uncle Cicero always lived in the Rockmart area on the family homestead. He was not known for working hard yet he always drove the best rubber tired buggy in the neighborhood. He was known for his barbque parties and enjoyed having lots of company in attendance.

Uncle Virgil was like Uncle Gus in that he would visit around with his siblings. He visited us on more than one occasion and it was always a pleasant visit. We too visited him. When I was discharged out of the Army in WWII I visited him on my way home. At first he did not recognize me but when I told him who I was he was over joyed. He came to Andalusia to my sister's wedding 1938 and was the star of attraction. Uncle Glover's family hosted Uncle Virgil while he was in Andalusia. His home was a short distance from his hardware store and he was a devout Methodist. Polly and I along with Jane Waits Barnes attended his funeral in Sumrall.

Grand father
This is a photo of my grandfather. He was a sawmill man and yet he could sit down with the big bankers and talk their language. He was good at working other people at the mills and knew how to make money.He managed mills at Sanford, AL, Caryville, FL and at Bagdad, FL. He managed Bagdad Land and Lumber Company until his death in 1927. He served on the Governor's Staff under two Alabama Govenors when only 6-8 people were so honored.

This is a photo of Aunt Corrie. She was the sweetest and most loving person I have known. She was the love of the family and her brothers thought she was the greatest. She was a good cook and could fix the best tea cakes I have ever tasted. In her earlier years she would visit us in Andalusia and we looked forward to her coming. In later years she moved to Texas where she lived with brothers there. She and Joanne Kingsbery Craig were greatest of friends and she was a mentor to Joanne.
Uncle Glover was a favorite and a very capable person in many ways. He was a whiz with mathematics and could add a column of figures in a matter of seconds. He started working at the mill in Bagdad that was managed by his father George Orkney Waits. Glover served as Secy of the Bagdad Land and Lumber Company until the mill closed. He also served the Company by going to Caryville and liquidating that mill. Following the Caryville liquidation, he moved his family to Andalusia and lived in the family homeplace on East Three Notch Street. During WWII he held a purchasing agents position at Eglin Field while living in his summerplace in Mary Esther. He died while living there.

Uncle Jim lived most of his adult life in the sawmill town of Warsaw, GA. He and Aunt Maude would ask me to visit them during the summer months. I would go and stay about a month and Sonny and I would have a great time together. We would visit Savannah that was not too far away. Also they had a summer cottage at Pine Harbor and it was great to visit too. Sonny had a goat wagon and we always enjoyed that except I was not much at guiding the goat. When the mill burned at Warsaw, Uncle Jim and Aunt Maude bought my grandfather's homeplace in Bonifay. They restored it and lived there until they died. Today it is a bed and breakfast type place and on the Internet under "The Waits Mansion"

This is a photo of my father. He was a graduate in the class of 1915 at Auburn and was engaged in the wholesale gasoline and oil business during his life. He died of a heart attack when he was just 51 years old. This was during WWII and luckily I was home on furlough from my duties in the Panama Canal Zone. Dad served as a Deacon in the First Baptist Church and was a close friend of Dr. Jesse Cook, the Pastor. Daddy loved the beach area and purchased a summer home at 78 Brooks Street in "downtown" Camp Walton. All the family enjoyed summers at the cottage and we shared it with friends of the family too. Daddy was asked to serve on the Staff of Gov. Chauncey Sparks and did so. He was one of six to serve in that capacity and was more of an honor then unlike today. He was born in Penia Georgia which was just a sawmill town close to Cordele, GA. The family moved to Sanford, AL in 1905 when my father was about 12. He attended school here in Andalusia traveling by train and boarding during the week. His father was partner and general manager of the Henderson-Waits sawmilling operations.